friendly-inmates.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help the ACLU’s rapid-response opposition to indefinite detention

Go down

Help the ACLU’s rapid-response opposition to indefinite detention Empty Help the ACLU’s rapid-response opposition to indefinite detention

Post  Yoke Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:21 pm

https://secure.aclu.org/site/SPageServer?pagename=Nat_IndefiniteDetention_Ad&JServSessionIdr002=ktjd0vgf51.app17a

Help the ACLU’s rapid-response opposition to indefinite detention 2color.th

Dear ACLU Supporter,

I’m writing to alert you that a proposal to approve some form of indefinite detention—holding people without charge or trial—could be coming from the administration at any moment.

As we prepare to respond, your support as an engaged and concerned ACLU activist could be crucial to our ability to fight any attempt to establish a system of indefinite detention that would violate the Constitution.

Once this proposal is introduced to Congress, the ACLU must—and will—mount an immediate, vigorous effort to prevent its passage. But, we need a core group of supporters to act even sooner.

I hope you’ll be a first responder in defense of the Constitution and lend your name now to help the ACLU’s rapid-response opposition to indefinite detention.

We have already laid the groundwork for our response by enlisting an impressive group of leading figures like Bishop Desmond Tutu; Rev. Jesse L. Jackson, Sr.; Ambassador Thomas Pickering; former Sen. Gary Hart and more.

But we’ll need a multitude of voices to speak out as quickly and as loudly as possible if we are going to stop what could be a fast-moving and complicated proposal.

You can play an important role in making sure our country does not go down this dangerous path by giving us permission to use your name in our very first wave of reaction—including a quick-response newspaper ad we will immediately run if circumstances require.

I hope you’ll agree to play an early leadership role in making the case that, if we really want to reverse the disastrous policies of the Bush era, we must stand up for the Constitution and oppose any proposals to indefinitely detain people without charge or trial.

I am taking the unusual step of asking you to take action before we know exactly what the White House or Congress will do. One thing we do know is that it will happen and when it does it will likely move very swiftly. I can’t tell you how essential it is to have a core group of ACLU supporters like you lined up in advance to help us speak out—or how much we would appreciate you playing this essential role.

Thanks so much and stay alert for more news on this important issue in the days ahead.

Sincerely,

Anthony D. Romero
Executive Director
American Civil Liberties Union
Yoke
Yoke
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/yoke.jaken

Back to top Go down